Answers to some of the common frequently asked questions that we get.
Fish Weight Formula – This is a formula used by many of the “pros” to determine the weight of a fish without a scale:
- Girth squared
- Multiply by length
- Divide by 800
- Girth is 21”
- 21” X 21” = 441”
- Fish is 27” long
- 27” X 441” = 11,907”
- 11,907” ÷ 800 = 14.884 lbs.
Where can I find the latest fishing hot spots around Monroe County?
To find the latest fishing hot spots in Monroe County along with lots of other information, check out the Monroe County Sport Fishing Map & Guide!
What do I need to know about VHS virus?
VHS, or viral hemorrhagic septicemia, is a deadly virus affecting fresh water fish and has been found in New York waters. This virus has been blamed for several fish kills in regional waters.
VHS cannot be transmitted to humans but can cause up to 80% mortality in fish. Species involved in fish kills linked to VHS include muskellunge, smallmouth bass, northern pike, freshwater drum, lake whitefish, gizzard shad, yellowperch, black crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, rock bass, white bass, redhorse sucker, burbot, walleye and round goby.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation encourages anglers and boaters to abide by the following guidelines:
- Do not transport fish from one body of water to another.
- Release bait fish only into the body of water from which it was taken.
- Do not dispose of fish carcasses or byproducts in any body of water.
- Remove all mud, aquatic plants and animals from all gear, boats, motors and trailers before leaving a body of water.
- Drain live well, bilge and bait tanks after fishing or boating. Anglers or boaters using any water body known to be infected with the VHS virus should disinfect their live wells and bait wells with a 10 percent chlorine/water solution and rinse well to remove all residual chlorine.
- Follow all fish health emergency regulations and inform others about them
To learn more about VHS, please visit www.dec.ny.gov/animals/25328.html
Live Interactive Map
Hot Spot Map
Get NYS Fishing License Today
Coming to fish Monroe County or NYS? Be sure to stop into a local tackle shop when you arrive to pick up your fishing license. You can also purchase your license online.
Know Local Regulations
Take a moment to review the local fishing regulations. Know what fish are in season and what the legal limits and lengths are. If you have any questions about the regulations or need to report any violations witnessed, please visit the following link to view the appropriate channels for contacting the DEC